Are you planning a family vacation to Topsail Island and want to have fun without breaking the bank?! Do you live in Hampstead or Surf City NC and want to have a few inexpensive “go to” places on your list of fun things to do?
Here are 5 local inexpensive things that my family and I LOVE to do.
- Shark tooth hunting – This is an activity that is ALWAYS on my families’ “what can we do today” list. It’s therapeutic, fun and FREE! It’s something that we can all do together and the thrill of the hunt keeps our heads to the sand. Experts say that the North Carolina coast is a premiere location for finding teeth, especially large ones! With the rain and high tides, they unexpectedly wash ashore. We have had the best luck at North Topsail Beach and Surf City near the pier. Here is a TIP – Where there are shells, there usually are teeth. The bigger the shells, the bigger the teeth. Happy hunting!
2. Poplar Grove Plantation – Poplar Grove was a peanut plantation in the early days of Colonial settlement. Through many hard working volunteer hands, the grounds are kept in pristine condition. They offer daily tours of the inside and when you are finished make sure to head around to the back to see all of the animals. There area also trails in the woods behind the plantation that offer a quiet, peaceful and beautiful walk. AND on Wednesdays from 8AM-1PM they hold their local Farmer’s Market. Address: 10200 US Highway 17 N., Wilmington, NC 28411
3. Rent a kayak – Head on down to 50 South Surf Shop on Topsail Island and rent a kayak for two and paddle on the Intracoastal Waterway. For just $20 you can explore the water for 3 hours. They also will deliver the kayak to the boast slip for you! Adult and Child vests are included. If kayaking is not your thing, for only $10/3 hours you can rent a bike and ride along the beach. Address: 302 S Topsail Dr, Surf City, NC 28445
4. Soundside Park – Soundside park in Surf City is crawling with things to do! Not only is there a great view while your kids play on the playground but every Friday from May 26th – September 1 they have Summer Fun Fridays! Free concerts and movies. Just bring a beach chair and a blanket. Address: 517 Roland Ave Surf City
5) Kiwanis Park – Located in the heart of Hampstead, Kiwanis park is great place to unwind for the day. They have updated playground equipment and a large covered picnic area as well. You will find baseball fields, Soccer fields and my favorite, Volleyball nets! Check with the local churches as they usually host parties throughout the year there which are always a blast. They also have an Easter egg hunt, A Turkey Trot 5k and Trunk or Treating in the fall. Grab a Frisbee or a kite and head over today!
Follow me on Facebook by clicking here to learn more about the Hampstead NC area.
For a search of homes for sale in Hampstead click here
Thanks guys! Enjoy those kiddos!!! They grow up so fast!!!